Wineries, Historic Sites, Shopping, Parks and other AttractionsHours and dog policies frequently change with these small businesses so please check before visiting and let us know if any changes so we can update these listings.
Wineries: The Sierra foothills are sometimes called “the new Napa valley” with 40+ wonderful yet less crowded wineries within Amador County and more in the neighboring counties of Calaveras and El Dorado.
- Avio and Sierra Ridge are less than 10 miles away on Ridge Road near Sutter Creek.
- Well-behaved leashed dogs allowed on the grounds of most of the wineries and usually also in the tasting rooms if it's not crowded
- Sutter Creek Wine Tasting offers wines from multiple wineries in downtown Sutter Creek (12 miles) Dogs are allowed in the tasting room and front patio.
- Amador County Shuttle Service allows your well-behaved dog to join you in the back of their Chevy Trailblazer for wine tours. Very reasonable prices.
- Stagecoach Limo is an elite limo service offering expert wine tours of both Amador and Calaveras County.
- Up Country Limo is great for larger group wine tours with their 14-passenger stretch Excursion.
Antiques and Shops throughout the gold country. Many will allow you to bring your dog inside if he/she is well-behaved.
- Sutter Creek (12 miles) is called the “Jewel of the Mother Lode” and lives up to its reputation with many great shops and several wine tasting rooms from local vineyards in its quaint downtown
- Jackson's (9 miles) historic main street has nice shops as well including the Biggest Little Kitchen Store
Parks While you're out exploring Amador County, these parks can provide a nice break for your dogs
- Jackson has a new off-leash dog park in Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park (8am-8pm, 7 days/wk). Walk through the historical sites while at the park. Where else can dogs check pee-mail on old mining equipment?!
- Minnie Provis in downtown Sutter Creek (12 miles). Just off Main St along the creek, you can usually let your dog off leash to splash in the water though be respectful of the leash law once he/she has cooled off.
Spa and Massage
- Skintique (11 miles) full service day spa voted "best in Amador County" in Jackson
- Ultimate7Massage (9 miles) deep sports massage ideal after a day of skiing or hiking
- Refresh (12 miles) a boutique day spa focused on health & wellness in Sutter Creek
- Mountain House Aviation (12 miles) Aerial flight seeing of vineyards and river canyons out of Jackson airport
- Gabby's Gold Rush Tours Fun, authentic, escorted tours by a local retired teacher
Gold Panning / History
- Kennedy Gold Mine tours (11 miles) Group and self-guided tours. Weekends March through October, Hwy 88/49 between Sutter Creek and Jackson.
- Amador County Museum (9 miles) Exhibits in a historic house plus ground with old carriages and mining equipment. A nice stop before walking through the cemeteries. 225 Church St, Jackson, 11am-3pm Fri-Sun, 223-6386
- Historic Town Walking Tours (9 miles) See gold rush mines, pioneer cemeteries with interesting headstones, historic buildings and more.
- Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park (6 miles) 136 acre historic park and museum near Pine Grove highlighting local Native American artifacts. Leashed dogs are allowed at the historic site, but not on any trails.
- Roaring Camp Mining Company (3 miles) Pan for gold, swim in the river, visit artifacts museum. 6-hr guided tours into Mokelumne Canyon and 5-hr Sat BBQ with music. No dogs. Pine Grove, 209-296-4100.
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park (40 miles) Site of 1848 gold discovery! Operational sawmill replica, 49er museum. Hwy 49 north to Coloma in El Dorado County.
- Columbia State Historic Park (50 miles) Panning, mines, shops, museums, food, and horses. Hwy 49 south near Sonora. 209-532-4301
- Amador Flower Farm (25 miles) 12 acres of gardens, with gift shopping and picnic area. Daily 9am - 4 pm near many Plymouth wineries.
- Daffodil Hill (11 miles) 300,000 bulbs bloom each spring around mid-March through mid-April near Volcano. Private farm is open to the public 9am - 5pm daily. Call Amador County Chamber of Commerce for info 209-223-0350.
- Bluebird Haven Iris Garden (37 miles) Over 2000 varieties, sales or mail order, April 15 - May 21 daily 10am-6pm, 6940 Fairplay Rd, Somerset, 916-620-5017
- Apple Hill (48 miles) best known for it's fall apple orchard bake shops and goods, but open year round including pumpkin and Christmas trees too.
Other Events and Listings
- Amador County Fair (21 miles) one of California’s last true country fairs with livestock, rodeo featuring muttin' bustin', and other local flavor at the end of July, plus other events at the fairgrounds
- Jumping Frog Jubilee (38 miles) and Calaveras County Fair in Angel's Camp. You may even see Mark Twain at this annual May event that the locals take very seriously!
- Tour Amador and events calendar
- Amador Chamber of Commerce events calendar
- Sutter Creek Visitors Center events calendar
- Calaveras Arts events calendar
- Murphys Visitors Center events calendar